Friday, January 20, 2012

Make a Thermometer

Of course when learning about weather it is important to learn about thermometers and temperature.

Here is an easy, fun activity that uses a recycled water bottle to make a homemade (or school made) thermometer!



Materials
  • recycled plastic water bottle
  • water
  • red food coloring
  • rubbing alcohol
  • clear plastic straw

Directions
  • Fill approximately 1/4 of the bottle with an equal amount of water and the rubbing alcohol.
  • Add food coloring.
  • Place the straw in the bottle. Do not let it touch the bottom of the bottle. Make sure to leave a little of the straw sticking out of the bottle.
  • Use some clay to anchor and seal the straw at the top of the bottle. Make sure the straw is sealed well with the clay but do not squeeze the straw.
  • Move the bottle to different locations and OBSERVE. Try putting the bottle in a sunny spot. Does the liquid rise in the straw when you place it in the sun? 
  • Rub your hands together to warm them up (with friction). Then put your hands around the bottle. Does the liquid rise in the straw?
Explanation:
As the temperature gets warmer, the liquid will expand (take up more space) and move up through the straw.
As the temperature gets colder, the liquid will contract and take up less space.

Caution: Do not place this homemade thermometer in a very cold place or very hot place. It is not designed for extreme temperatures.

Have fun learning about weather!



7 comments:

  1. Cool. I was about to ask about the seal, but then I reread and saw make sure it is sealed well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool! I pinned this onto my science board!

    thanks for linking to the sunday showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a must do for us ;-) Thank you for sharing your ideas with us on The Sunday Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great activity. I pinned it so I can remember to do this when my little one is older. : ) I would love if you shared this activity at my linky party. I am looking for fun, inexpensive, kid-friendly activities. You can check out the party here http://funfrugalmommy.blogspot.com/2012/01/fun-frugal-friday-linky-party_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. Looks like one we should try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing on fun frugal friday. I would love it if you stopped by again and shared some more ideas. I will be posting on friday mornings. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to stop by and let know I featured this SUPER cool idea at TGIF this week (http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2012/02/tgif-linky-party-15.html)! Thanks for sharing with all of us!! As you have been featured more than once email me at livinglifeintentionallyblog @gmail.com for your featured more than once button =-) I look forward to seeing you linked up again this week!!
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...