Friday, February 4, 2011

Transparent, Translucent, and Opaque Materials

What happens when LIGHT hits an object?




Three (3) things can happen.
  • Light passes through easily (if the object is transparent)
  • Light is blurred (if the object is translucent)
  • Light is blocked (if the object is opaque)

Materials
  • Transparent object(s) {clear plastic cup, glass, water, etc.}
  • Translucent object(s) {some tinted plastic cups, waxed paper, sunglasses, etc.}
  • Opaque object(s) {some plastic cups, aluminum foil, cardboard, etc.}
  • Flashlight 
  • Plastic plate (optional)

Experiment
  1. Show the children 3 different objects (1 transparent, 1 translucent, 1 opaque).
  2. Have the children predict what will happen when they shine a light on each object
  3. Have the children shine a light on each object, observe what happens, and sketch a picture of what happens and/or record their data in their science notebooks.
transparent (air)

transparent (cup)

     transparent (cup and water)


    translucent (cup)


    opaque (cup)


    For a follow up arts and crafts activity children can use their (recycled ) materials and make a  "Light" mobile to hang. They can look for other lightweight transparent, translucent, and opaque objects to put on their mobile.


    20 comments:

    1. This help with my school project!!!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. ikr this is GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT I TELL YAAA

        Delete
    2. Thanks alot. I needed this for school :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. this helped with my comic strip! thanks

      ReplyDelete
    4. it has helped in my project to write the experiments about materials

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. So happy that you found my post helpful! :) Thanks so much for stopping by. Happy Holidays!

        Delete
    5. this will help me
      with my school project

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm glad you found my page. Hope you do really well on your project. Have fun! :)
        Marcia

        Delete
    6. It helped me with my assignment! Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    7. nice page neat and tidy no silly things only study material

      ReplyDelete
    8. I am teaching a lesson in my TE 400 class in the school of education and this will be perfect to go along with my inquiry lesson and 5-E model... thanks

      ReplyDelete
    9. This topic is my daughter's homework now and she's in Grade 3.
      Thanks for sharing it is really a great content.

      ReplyDelete
    10. this will help with my daughters school project thanks shan

      ReplyDelete
    11. Thank you. It was a great help while planning a lesson.

      ReplyDelete
    12. hi this will hellp with my science

      ReplyDelete
    13. I am done with my science and I think I will get an A because of this web

      ReplyDelete
    14. Thanks a lot. This helped me prepare the PPT for the lesson.

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...